Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
There was nothing boring about Sister Mary's Carrots. This was adapted and adopted from "The Best Of Shaker Cooking".
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add carrots to boiling salted water, reduce heat and cook until tender, drain and place in a 6 by 10 inch baking dish.
- Mix onion, horseradish, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and water, pour over carrots.
- Mix bread crumbs and butter, sprinkle over carrot mixture.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
this is an easy sidedish. I cooked it with my lasagna and 15 min in the over: vola, dinner's ready! I used onion powder instead of real onions since it only calls for 2 tbsp.=P
My, my, my. Boring these ARE NOT. These are the best carrots I've ever had, and I adore carrots. I may have grated a tiny bit too much onion, but I like onions. I love horseradish and carrots, and this is no exception. I sliced the whole carrots thin and put them in the fridge for the next day (cooked). I mixed the sauce tonite and tasted them before done and they were still delicious. Lorac, this recipe and your scallops are two of my favorite recipes EVER.
My fiancee' loved them...kids and I thought they were "interesting"....needless to say the whole lot was gone by the end of dinner! Quite rich, actually, and I think I'll use more carrots next time. Very Good.