Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've tried a lot of cornbread recipes but this one works the best (I use my mom's old aluminum pan so the crust is lightly brown but the bread nice and moist- don't overcook!) Toast the leftovers for breakfast with butter and jam.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425° (Important!).
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg with milk and butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Bake in prepared pan* 20 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- *You can either take a paper towel and rub butter all over the inside of the pan to coat or use PAM- but butter works best!
Wonderful, moist, delicious! I substituted 1/4 c applesauce for the sugar and used coarse meal/polenta grits for added texture. I could have eaten the entire pan!
Very good home-cooking cornbread, with the added bonus of being quck to make. I used buttermilk (needed to use it up)in place of regular milk and added just a wee bit more sugar. Be sure to NOT overcook. Set your timer for less than 20 minutes. Mine baked up much faster. was overdone at the 20 minute mark and was still moist and good. Can only imagine if I had been more diligent about the time issue. My butter was not soft enough and clumped badly even with major beating. Didn't matter one bit, still delish!
I am usually too lazy to mix up cornbread from scratch. I know that it isn't so difficult, but those darn Jiffy mixes are so convenient. Tonight, I had simmered Recipe #83937 for dinner and went to the pantry to pull out a cornbread mix only to discover that I was out. Ooops. A quick trip to Zaar found this super simple recipe that mixed up almost as quickly as Jiffy. I did increase the sugar by about 1/8 of a cup. Hubby and I are northerners and like our cornbread to be sweeter. Please don't shoot us, if you are from the south. LOL