Recipe by Dorie's Lori
These Russian Fried Cheese Pancakes (Patties), prounounced SEER-ni-kee, are delicious served hot out of the pan, the outsides still crispy, the insides creamy... They are very easy, and the dough can be made ahead. Sirniki are usually served as a brunch or breakfast dish, or as a dessert, with sour cream or jam. Some like both!
Top Review by CharlotteWebStore
Excellent, Authentic Russian Blintzes!
I did simplify the recipe to make it easier and faster.
I put the farmer's cheese in a bowl and mashed it with a fork. Then added the rest of the ingredients the same way, no need for the food processor.
I didn't refrigerate the mixture and didn't dip in flour. I just spooned them into the frying pan and flattened a little with the back of a spoon.
I served with a dollop of sour cream and some russian berry jam (find in russian store, comes in small white plastic buckets).
- 1 lb farmer cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- extra flour, for dipping
- 2 tablespoons butter, approx
- sour cream or jam, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, pulse the farmerï¿½s cheese until it is uniformly crumpled. Add the eggs, sugar, salt, and ½ cup of flour. Pulse or mix to combine. Refrigerate 1 hour, or even overnight. The dough will remain thick but sticky.
- Put approximately 1/3 cup of flour into a bowl, and use this to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. Using 2 teaspoons, drop 1½ï¿½ balls of dough into the flour, roll them round, and flatten to about 3/8ï¿½ thick. Place them on a plate in a single layer until all the patties are all formed.
- Heat a frying pan with 1 T. butter, and fry the patties on each side until golden. You will need to add more butter as you go.
- Serve hot with sour cream and/or jam. This recipe will make approximately 20 small patties.
- NOTE: Farmer Cheese is usually found near the cream cheese; my store sells Friendship brand. These days, the packages are just under 1/2 pound (don't you hate this incremental downsizing?), and 2 packages will work fine.
- About the Times, Prep time is mostly frying time, and Passive time is the chilling time.