This is a fantastic and quick way to make a steak with a wonderful sauce. From Bon Appetit "Too Busy To Cook." If you don't have port on hand, just use 1 1/2 cups red wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt 2 T butter in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- 2Add shallots and saute 2 minutes.
- 3Then add mushrooms, cover pan, and cook about 5 minutes, then uncover and cook 5 minutes more until browned.
- 4Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- 5Next add zinfandel, port and broth.
- 6Bring to a boil and boil sauce down, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens enough to coat a wooden spoon thinly.
- 7Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 8Pound steak between two sheets of wax paper to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- 9Coat both sides with salt and pepper.
- 10Melt remaining 1 T butter over medium-high heat in another large skillet (I don't use nonstick for this).
- 11Cook steak about 2 minutes per side (for medium rare) or longer to suit your preferences.
- 12Transfer steak to a plate.
- 13Add mushroom sauce to the steak pan, bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits on the pan.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sirloin Steaks With Port-Red Zinfandel & Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1050.3
- Calories from Fat 579
- Total Fat 64.3 g
- Saturated Fat 27.6 g
- Cholesterol 252.6 mg
- Sodium 656.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 72.4 g