Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a fantastic and quick way to make a steak with a wonderful sauce. From Bon Appetit "Too Busy To Cook." If you don't have port on hand, just use 1 1/2 cups red wine.
- Melt 2 T butter in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shallots and saute 2 minutes.
- Then add mushrooms, cover pan, and cook about 5 minutes, then uncover and cook 5 minutes more until browned.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Next add zinfandel, port and broth.
- Bring to a boil and boil sauce down, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens enough to coat a wooden spoon thinly.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Pound steak between two sheets of wax paper to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Coat both sides with salt and pepper.
- Melt remaining 1 T butter over medium-high heat in another large skillet (I don't use nonstick for this).
- Cook steak about 2 minutes per side (for medium rare) or longer to suit your preferences.
- Transfer steak to a plate.
- Add mushroom sauce to the steak pan, bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits on the pan.