Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cottage Living 9/2006. Great with mashed or baked potatoes and a crisp tossed green salad!
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 4 (8 ounce) sirloin steaks (3/4-inch)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions, thinly sliced (About 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of drippings over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 10-15 minutes or until soft & a bit caramelized. Stir in vinegar, molasses, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and remaining pepper.
- Return remaining tablespoon drippings to pan, and cook steaks over medium-high heat to desired degree of doneness (2 minutes on each side for medium rare).
- Serve steaks with the caramelized onions.