Recipe by Chef mariajane
The times given in the recipe are for relatively even 1-inch thick steak tips. When grilling, bear in mind that even those who prefer rare steak, prefer medium-rare steak tips because the texture is firmer and not so chewy. Serve with orange wedges.
Top Review by Vicky B.
this is a fabulous marinade, but I use an older version of this recipe from before the site upgrade a year or two back... there's been a typo in this ever since then. the older version calls for 1/3 cup soy sauce. 1 1/3 cups is tooooooooooooo much!
- 1 1⁄3 cups soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium scallion, sliced thin
- 2 lbs sirloin tip steaks, trimmed of excess fat
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKING THE MARINADE:.
- Combine the soy sauce, oils, garlic, ginger, sugar, zest, red pepper, and scallion in a small bowl.
- PREPARING THE STEAK TIPS:.
- Combine the marinade and meat in gallon-size zipper-lock bag; press out as much air as possible and seal bag. Refrigerate 1 hour, flipping bag after 30 minutes to ensure that meat marinates evenly.
- About halfway through marinating time, turn burners on grill to high, close lid, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes.
- Remove steak tips from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Grill, covered, until well seared and dark brown on first side, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip steak and grill until second side is well seared and thickest part of meat is slightly less done than desired, 4-5 minutes for medium-rare (about 130 degrees on instant-read thermometer) 6-8 minutes for medium (about 135 degrees); if exterior of meat if browned but steak is not yet cooked through, move steak to cooler side of grill and continue to desired doneness.
- Transfer steaks to cutting board; tent loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak very thinly on the bias. Serve immediately with orange wedges.