Recipe by Deb's Recipes
A delicious, easy to prepare, and healthful soup based upon a recipe from Fred Wix, who is also known as the Gabby Gourmet.
Top Review by mersaydees
Made as directed, except used ziti pasta. At the table, this soup inspired suggestions as to how to make it flavorful. My DH suggested Frank's Hot Sauce (his answer to everything!) and I said, "no", that Frank's is not in keeping with the Italian spirit behind this recipe. I added some balsamic vinegar to mine, and that seemed to balance it out. Thanks, Deb's Recipes! Made for Best of 2008 tag.
- 226.79 g penne pasta
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 680.38 g top sirloin steaks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1419.54 ml low sodium chicken broth or 1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 793.78 g candiced Italian-style tomatoes
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 425.24 g can corn
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute beef, onion, and celery in olive oil for 2-3 minutes; add carrots and garlic; saute another 1-2 minutes until beef is just cooked.
- Combine beef mixture, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and herbs in stockpot; simmer for 20 minutes or until flavors are blended and all vegetables are tender; add pasta and heat through; add salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste; serve topped with fresh grated parmesan cheese ~ and as the Gabby Gourmet always says, Enjoy!
- NOTE: 8 ounce uncooked penne pasta is 2 1/2 cups.