Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 12 baby portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill pan or large nonstick skillet (for the burgers) over med-high heat.
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute chopped onion in a drizzle of olive oil for 2-3 minutes; set pan aside.
- In a bowl, combine meat, Worcestershire sauce, and steak seasoning; mix in sauteed onion and form into 4 large patties.
- Drizzle patties with a touch of oil.
- Quick toast your split rolls on the hot grill pan and set aside.
- Then add burgers to hot pan; grill 4-5 minutes on each side for medium to medium-well burgers.
- Return small nonstick skillet to stove over med-high heat; add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sliced mushrooms; season with salt and pepper, then saute until just tender, 3-5 minutes; remove from heat.
- Pile mushrooms on top of burgers just before you are ready to take them off the grill.
- Fold each slice of swiss cheese in half and rest on top of mushrooms; place a loose tin foil tent over burgers and turn off heat; let cheese melt down over the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small dish, combine balsamic vinegar, mayo, and lots of coarsely ground black pepper.
- To assemble burgers: place burgers topped with mushrooms and cheese on bun bottom; slather tops of buns with mayo mixture and add romaine.
- Set burger tops in place and serve.
Yum! Unbeatable combo and full of flavor! I used 2 tbs steak seasoning and added 2 cloves garlic to the mushrooms. And used rucola, not salad. Right up our street!