Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Theodora Fitzgibbon, The Art of British Cooking. Sir James is Sir James Elphinstone, and the recipe seems to be from 1880. Submitted for Zaar World Tour 6 Great Britain. Prep time is a guess - I never cared to pay attention to it! The beets should be large beets.
- To make the sauce, beat the egg yolks well in a basin, then add the mustard, pepper and salt.
- The drop by drop add the olive oil and the vinegars, beating well with a fork or whisk as for a mayonnaise.
- When the mayonnaise has "taken", add the whipped cream. Keep cold.
- Just before serving slice the beetroot and cover with the sauce, poured over the salad not mixed inches.
- Theodora Fitzgibbon notes: Sir James remarks: "A spendthrift for oil, a miser for vinegar, and a lunatic to mix it!" Nowadays, of course, a good mechanical mixer may be used in place of the lunatic.
LOVED LOVED LOVED this! Tarragon vinegar is perfect with this. And then I went and garnished fresh tarragon which we consumed. Marriage made in haven. For the whipped cream I used strained kefir milk. Made for ZWT #8 Team of the Lively Lemon Lovelies. Cheerio.
I had this with my lunch, a great salad, loved the dressing