The combination of flavors in this is wonderful. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
Make and share this Sipulipiirakka (Finnish Onion Pie) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast (equilavents listed at bottom of recipe)
- 3⁄4 cup water (105 to 116 degrees F)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions
- 1⁄4 lb diced smoked ham (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add salt,oil, or butter, and flour.
- Beat until dough is smooth and satiny.
- Cover, let rise for 1 hour (until doubled).
- Cut onions into thin slices. Place in frying pan along with ham and cook over low heat until onions are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, eggs, salt to taste, and caraway seeds.
- Butter 10 inch pie, quiche or tart pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On lightly floured board, roll out pastry to fit prepared pan.
- Turn filling into lined pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is browned and pie is set.
- Note: Yeast equilavents are One package = 2 1/4 teaspoons = 1/4 ounce.