The combination of flavors in this is wonderful. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
Make and share this Sipulipiirakka (Finnish Onion Pie) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast (equilavents listed at bottom of recipe)
- 3⁄4 cup water (105 to 116 degrees F)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions
- 1⁄4 lb diced smoked ham (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add salt,oil, or butter, and flour.
- Beat until dough is smooth and satiny.
- Cover, let rise for 1 hour (until doubled).
- Cut onions into thin slices. Place in frying pan along with ham and cook over low heat until onions are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, eggs, salt to taste, and caraway seeds.
- Butter 10 inch pie, quiche or tart pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On lightly floured board, roll out pastry to fit prepared pan.
- Turn filling into lined pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is browned and pie is set.
- Note: Yeast equilavents are One package = 2 1/4 teaspoons = 1/4 ounce.
I had a few problems in preparing this dish. The crust was very soupy and even though it rose I had to pour it in the pie plate. It did turn out fine though. My overall opinion was that the caraway was way to strong. I would cut the caraway seed in half next time. It needed a bit more salt but overall I was disapointed
This is a favorite of mine, I grew up with a Finnish family. This was absolutely amazing especially with melted cheese on the top. Thank you.
Great crust and great flavor to the pie. Used smoked turkey drumstick meat instead of the ham. A definite keeper. Thank you.