1/2 Photos of Sipulipiirakka (Finnish Onion Pie)
The combination of flavors in this is wonderful. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (equilavents listed at bottom of recipe)
- 3/4 cup water (105 to 116 degrees F)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet onions
- 1/4 lb diced smoked ham (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2Let stand 5 minutes.
- 3Add salt,oil, or butter, and flour.
- 4Beat until dough is smooth and satiny.
- 5Cover, let rise for 1 hour (until doubled).
- 6Cut onions into thin slices. Place in frying pan along with ham and cook over low heat until onions are soft (about 15 minutes).
- 7Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, eggs, salt to taste, and caraway seeds.
- 8Butter 10 inch pie, quiche or tart pan.
- 9Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 10On lightly floured board, roll out pastry to fit prepared pan.
- 11Turn filling into lined pan.
- 12Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is browned and pie is set.
- 13Note: Yeast equilavents are One package = 2 1/4 teaspoons = 1/4 ounce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sipulipiirakka (Finnish Onion Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.2
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 170.8 mg
- Sodium 618.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 14.6 g