Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Greek lemon-honey cheesecake-type dessert pie. If necessary, cream cheese can be substituted for Mizithra or Mascarpone, and other types of mild honey can be substituted for thyme or orange blossom. Cooking time does not include time to bake piecrust (presumably about 30-40 min). Good with a Mediterranean region sweet dessert wine.
- 1 baked pie crust
- 16 ounces mizithra cheese or 16 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup thyme honey or 1⁄2 cup orange blossom honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 grated lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Blend the cheese and honey together in a blender on low speed.
- Add in eggs slowly while blending.
- Blend in lemon peel, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Pour into the baked piecrust and bake at 350°F until done, about 1/2 hour.
- Let cool, then chill in fridge a few hours.
I was given some Cretan mizithra and had some organic thyme honey so I figured this was the perfect recipe to try. Unfortunately I overcooked it as I tend to with baked cheesecake type desserts. It was nice but the four stars is what it would be if I had baked it properly as mine was a bit too firm and dry. I would recommend cooking it until the middle has just set and stopped wobbling for best results.
This is so good, it's similar to a recipe I made years ago, this cake is a mix beteween pudding-like texture and a cheesecake texture, I added in one more egg to create a softer and fluffier texture, thanks for sharing this great recipe echo!...Kitten:)