Recipe by Cathy17
From Chatelaine. Canadians may know of Stuart McLean's Vinyl Café program on CBC Radio. He first tasted this salad during a visit to Sioux Lookout in Ontario. After describing the salad on his programme, he was overwhelmed with requests for the recipe. It is suggested to cut back the Worcestershire considerably from the original recipe and to add more for your own taste. Worcestershire sauce is the cutback amount.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 bunches spinach
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dressing, place oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, 1 tablespoon (optional) sugar, poppy seeds, green onion, salt and paprika in a jar or small container with a resealable lid. Shake well.
- Dressing can be made ahead and left at room temperature for up to 1 day or refrigerated, covered, for 2 to 3 days. Flavour improves as it sits.
- For the Almond Mixture, grease a large piece of foil and place on counter.
- Place almonds, sugar and water in a medium-size frying pan or saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar melts.
- As soon as sugar turns light golden, stir slowly and constantly with a wooden spoon until all sugar is an even golden shade and coats almonds, from 6 to 8 minutes.
- Immediately turn coated almonds out onto foil.
- Don't touch as they're extremely hot.
- Let cool, preferably to room temperature, then break into small pieces.
- If making ahead, nuts will keep well at cool room temperature or in the refrigerator for weeks. If your kitchen is warm and humid, it's best to store them in the refrigerator.
- Wash spinach then tear into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl, along with strawberries.
- If not serving right away, cover salad with a damp paper towel and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, toss salad with about half of dressing, then keep adding a little more dressing and tossing until spinach is lightly coated.
- Add almonds and toss.