Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is posted by request.
Make and share this Siopao recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 lb cubed pork loin or 1 lb chicken thigh
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 green onions
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 t. water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In another bowl dissolve yeast in luke warm water then add 1 cup of the flour mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the white sugar in the boiling water.
- Stir well then let cool to luke warm.
- Pour into the yeast mixture, then add the rest of the prepared flour mixture.
- Stir to blend well.
- Grease a large bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead for 3 minutes-you want your dough smooth, not sticky.
- Place ball into bowl, turn once and cover with a damp cloth.
- Let rise 2 hours or until doubled.
- Meanwhile saute the garlic and onions in a small amount of oil in a wok.
- Add meat and stir fry for 1 minute or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar.
- Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and stir fry quickly until meat is glazed well.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Punch down dough and knead on a floured board for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide dough and roll each half into a 12x2 inch log.
- Cut each into 12 pieces, making 24.
- Roll each piece into a ball using your hands then rolling it flat into a 3 inch diameter circle.
- Dust with flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- If using, place 1 slice of egg into center of dough round, then 1 T.
- of filling with sauce.
- Gather sides of round, pinch together and twist.
- Place pinched side down on parchment paper and place in steamer.
- Repeat until done.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
- Steam Siopao for 20 minutes.
- You can freeze cooked Siopao, simply re-steam for 10 minutes.