3 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is posted by request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 lb cubed pork loin or 1 lb chicken thigh
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 green onions
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 t. water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl, set aside.
- 2In another bowl dissolve yeast in luke warm water then add 1 cup of the flour mixture.
- 3Mix thoroughly.
- 4Cover with a cloth and let rise 1 hour.
- 5Meanwhile, dissolve the white sugar in the boiling water.
- 6Stir well then let cool to luke warm.
- 7Pour into the yeast mixture, then add the rest of the prepared flour mixture.
- 8Stir to blend well.
- 9Grease a large bowl.
- 10Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead for 3 minutes-you want your dough smooth, not sticky.
- 11Place ball into bowl, turn once and cover with a damp cloth.
- 12Let rise 2 hours or until doubled.
- 13Meanwhile saute the garlic and onions in a small amount of oil in a wok.
- 14Add meat and stir fry for 1 minute or until meat is no longer pink.
- 15Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar.
- 16Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and stir fry quickly until meat is glazed well.
- 17Remove from heat and let cool.
- 18Punch down dough and knead on a floured board for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 19Divide dough and roll each half into a 12x2 inch log.
- 20Cut each into 12 pieces, making 24.
- 21Roll each piece into a ball using your hands then rolling it flat into a 3 inch diameter circle.
- 22Dust with flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- 23If using, place 1 slice of egg into center of dough round, then 1 T.
- 24of filling with sauce.
- 25Gather sides of round, pinch together and twist.
- 26Place pinched side down on parchment paper and place in steamer.
- 27Repeat until done.
- 28Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
- 29Steam Siopao for 20 minutes.
- 30You can freeze cooked Siopao, simply re-steam for 10 minutes.
Nutritional Facts for Siopao
Serving Size: 1 (2335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.1
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 616.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 8.9 g