No doctor's prescription needed! Chef’s Incredible Tip: After you thoroughly wash and rinse the sausage casings, soak them in pineapple juice for 24-36 hours (in the fridge) and then rinse them again prior to stuffing them. This process softens the casings and makes them much more tender and palatable! To stuff the casings, you will need a meat grinder with a sausage horn attachment. If you don't have such a device, use the mixture to make fried patties by shaping 1/4 cup of filling into a 1/2 inch thick patty and frying in hot oil until golden brown on both sides.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (may substitute Asian fish sauce for a saltier taste)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons ground dried chilies, more to taste
- 3/4 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 limes, juice of
- 2 fluid ounces ice water
- 1To prepare casings: Let casings soak in cool water about five minutes to remove salt on outer surface (no longer, or they will become too tender to stuff) and flush salt from the inside by placing one end on faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water (if you see holes or water leaking, cut and discard).
- 2Remove casing from faucet and gently squeeze out water; cover rinsed casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3Mix all ingredients very well in a large bowl (you're looking for a moist but not runny mixture).
- 4Fill the casings with the mixture and make links by twisting the sausage where you wish the links to be.
- 5Four inches is a good size for a regular serving, smaller links may be made for appetizer servings.
- 6Cook by grilling, broiling, or baking uncut links in a coil, or grill separated links individually on bamboo skewers.
- 7These freeze very well, so make bigger batches if you like.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sinus-Clearing Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.6
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 206.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 29.4 g