Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This hot sauce is a good remedy for a stuffy nose. It may not seem real hot at first, but it will sneak up on you. If you don't enjoy heat, this isn't for you. There are hotter sauces out there I'm sure, but this isn't for sissies. I eat it on many things, from meat to vegetables.
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, peeled
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 3 habanero peppers
- 2 cubanelle peppers (can use any mild & flavorful pepper) (optional)
- 2 -4 cloves garlic
- salt (I use kosher)
- Boil peppers in water for about 10 minutes, or until jalapenos turn from deep emerald-like green to an olive green (They should be soft, but not mushy).
- Remove peppers from water and cut off stem caps, but do not remove seeds.
- Place peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and a teaspoon of salt into a food processor.
- Blend in the food processor for 20-30 seconds, depending upon desired consistency.
- Taste the sauce, and if necessary, add more salt (pulse-mix a few times to stir in any added salt).
- Pour into a re-sealable container or jar and enjoy with chips or use as a condiment.
- When sinuses begin to"clear up," and they will, use kleenex.
- NOTE: After using the food processor, it is sometimes best to open in a well ventilated area.
- The fumes from processing boiling hot peppers can take your breath away.
Wow! I have been looking for something like this. I really enjoyed it. I do have one question. How long will this stay fresh and viable in the frig? (Not that it hung around for long, we couldn't stop eating it.
HooBoy was this hot. We used 2 anaheim and 2 serrano chilies in addition to the jalapenos and habaneros. We froze individual baggies of it, so hopefully it will survive well for future use. It's inaugural use was in a grilled potato medley with green beans. Wonderful stuff, Mark! And very easy to make. Thanks for posting.
Yummy... But what do you do with all that pepper-water... Must be usefull fo something (?!). as a substitute for "smelling salts" possibly :))) LOL unfortunatly my BF hates hot peppers... he was not ammused ROFLOL.