Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A dense bar type dessert served at Sinterklaas time (December 5) in Holland. It's delicious any time.
- 1 lb butter
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 lb blanched almond (dry thoroughly and brown in 1 tbsp butter, stirring constantly, then drain)
- Cream butter and sugar, add soda dissolved in the water.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Then mix with creamy mixture to make a soft dough.
- Place on floured board, knead in almonds and roll out to about 1/4" thick.
- Place into browny pan and bake about 30 minutes or until done.
- Cut into squares before it has completely cooled.
Happy Sinterklaas Day December 6th! I loved this cake! Very dangerous though! I could eat the whole pan! Very Gingerbready and spicy. The recipe did not tell me what degrees to cook it at, so I cooked it at 350 for the recommended time and had to add 5 more minutes. Also, the recipe says it should be a stiff dough, but mine was more like a batter. I did not put it on a floured board but I folded the almonds in and poured/spooned it into a 13x9x2 pan. It filled the pan more than half way up the pan and we cut it into 48 generous "brownie size" squares! I took it to a St. Nicolas celebration at Church and it was a hit. I had requests for the recipe, so thank you panNan for a lovely treat.
This was OK. Not exactly what I expected, but I probably will try it again! Thanks for posting!