Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
All in one pot and you are done, plus the flavors are so wonderful, elegant and romantic enough for dinner by candlelight!
- 2 Cornish hens, washed and split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 vidalia onions, diced or 3 shallots, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or crushed)
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 8 new potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh washed mushrooms (halved or quartered according to size)
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon or 1 tablespoon chicken base
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In large Dutch oven (lid must be ovenproof) heat oil over medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper hens both sides.
- Brown on both sides.
- Add onions and garlic, let cook 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and mushrooms on top.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and thyme and garlic powder.
- Pour in 1/2 can broth in pan and 1/4 cup wine.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon on top.
- Cover with tight fitting lid.
- Place in oven at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and take out hens and vegetables.
- Over medium high heat add remaining ingredients (lemon juice, lemon pepper, chicken base, wine, broth) and let reduce for 15 minutes.
- Thicken with cornstarch and water.
- Taste and season as needed replace chicken and vegetables and cook for additional 10 minutes stirring very carefully and not very often.
- Serve immediately.
Nice to have a one pot meal, with a great gravy afterwards!
Excellent recipe!!!! I also agree with the description in that it can an elegant entree' for a candlelight dinner. The flavors are wonderful and it really is a very easy recipe. This will grace our table many many times in the future.