Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
All in one pot and you are done, plus the flavors are so wonderful, elegant and romantic enough for dinner by candlelight!
- 2 Cornish hens, washed and split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 vidalia onions, diced or 3 shallots, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or crushed)
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 8 new potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh washed mushrooms (halved or quartered according to size)
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon or 1 tablespoon chicken base
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In large Dutch oven (lid must be ovenproof) heat oil over medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper hens both sides.
- Brown on both sides.
- Add onions and garlic, let cook 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and mushrooms on top.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and thyme and garlic powder.
- Pour in 1/2 can broth in pan and 1/4 cup wine.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon on top.
- Cover with tight fitting lid.
- Place in oven at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and take out hens and vegetables.
- Over medium high heat add remaining ingredients (lemon juice, lemon pepper, chicken base, wine, broth) and let reduce for 15 minutes.
- Thicken with cornstarch and water.
- Taste and season as needed replace chicken and vegetables and cook for additional 10 minutes stirring very carefully and not very often.
- Serve immediately.