Recipe by tigerduck
I served this delicious curry at my 30th birthday. You can use any white fish fillets that keep their shape well. I used economic frozen fish. This recipe will yield a lot of sauce :), so serve over basmati rice. You'll find coconut vinegar in Asian stores. You will need to marinate the fish for at least 30 minutes. It is included in the cooking time. This curry freezes well, but you will have to use fresh fish then.
Top Review by mianbao
This recipe provided me with a delicious dinner tonight. I did scale the recipe rather extremely, but tried to retain the proportions of the ingredients. I happened to have some coconut vinegar from the Philippines, and didn't have any trouble assembling the other ingredients, either. I am a great fan of fish curry, but this is the first tomato-based fish curry I have tried. It also seems quite mild - some of this may be due to scaling difficulties - I think I will increase the aromatics as well as the chilies next time, but I am still quite happy with the result as it is. Thank you very much for sharing this lovely recipe with us.
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (60 ml)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut vinegar (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs white fish fillets (1 kg, should hold well together)
- 1⁄4 cup oil (60 ml)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1200 g chopped canned tomatoes (1.2kg /2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 small green chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar, grated (or brown sugar)
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- Check if all bones are removed from the fish fillets. If not, use a pair of tweezers.
- Cut the fish into 1x4 inches pieces (2.5x10cm) and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or longer in the fridge.
- Heat a wok on high temperature, put in oil. Reduce heat to the lowest temperature and add chopped onion, garlic and mustard seeds. Cook on very low heat for 5 minutes or more, stirring frequently.
- Add fish fillets, marinade, tomatoes, chillies, and palm sugar (or brown sugar). Add a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes. Fish is cooked if it can easily be parted with a fork.
- Serve over basmati rice and sprinkle with the fresh coriander.