Pinaygourmet #345142's Note:
This is a delicious Singapore classic usually served with chewy crusty french bread or steaming hot white rice. My aunt learned how to make this from a friend who was the head chef of a five star hotel at home. My aunt usually adds a couple spoonfuls of toasted ground peanuts on the final toss in the wok. Reduce the amount of chillies according to your preference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large crabs, about 3 lb
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 bird's eye chilies, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped (tender inner leaves)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (optional)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1Clean the crabs.
- 2Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet and stir fry the onion, ginger, garlic, lemon grass, shrimp paste (if using) and two-thirds of the chillies for two minutes.
- 3Add the crab and boiling water, reduce the heat and cook 8 minutes longer. Transfer the crab to a plate.
- 4Chop the crabs into 4 to 6 pieces with a large cleaver, leaving the legs attached. Crack the claws with a mallet or pestle.
- 5Mix the cornstarch into a little cold water.
- 6Add the sugar and tomato paste to the wok and combine well.
- 7Add the cornstarch solution and continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
- 8Add the lightly beaten egg, stir continuously to form small tiny strands.
- 9Return the crab to the wok, stirring until well-coated with the sauce.
- 10Place on a serving platter and garnish with the green onions and remaining chillies.
- 11Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Singaporean Chilli Crab
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 131.6
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 46.1 mg
- Sodium 120.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: