beach bum in the Philippines's Note:
Chili Crab is the national dish of Singapore. When I was working there, I had the chance to eat this a lot. I got the recipe from an old Chinese Singaporean grandmother who taught me how to prepare the dish. It's so great, I want to share it with all of you. This is a must try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 live dungeness crabs (or mud crabs)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- green onion, sliced 1 inch (garnish)
- 1Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2In a very large pot of boiling water, parboil the crab for 3 minutes. Take out of the water and drain. Rinse the crab with cold water and drain again.
- 3Pull off the top shell in one piece and reserve for additional garnish.
- 4Remove and discard the gills and the spongy parts under the shell.
- 5Twist off the claws and legs; crack them with a cleaver or a mallet. Now cut the body into 4 pieces.
- 6Now in a large heated wok, add oil and swirl to coat the sides of the wok. add the garlic, ginger, and chili, and stir fry for 1 minute.
- 7Add the crab, and stir fry an additional 2 minutes. Now add the sauce, reducing the heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, till the crab is cooked (6-7 minutes).
- 8Finally stir in the egg and cook just until it begins to set (1 minute).
- 9Arrange the crab and top shell on a large platter. Pour the sauce all over the crab and garnish with the green onion.
- 10Serve right away with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Singaporean Chili Crab
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.8
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 100.9 mg
- Sodium 1239.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 18.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: