This is a recipe from Steven Raichlen. He says to simplify the recipe, he subs regular soy and molasses. Totally authentic? Not sure. Delicious? Definitely! Don't let the ingredients scare you off, it's really very easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces rice vermicelli or 8 ounces very thin Chinese wheat noodles
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sambal oelek (Indonesian chili paste) or 1/2-1 teaspoon thai chili paste or 1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, whites minced,greens cut in 1 inch pieces
- 6 ounces lean pork loin, sliced thinly across the grain and cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 6 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cups bean sprouts (I used about 1 cup)
- salt and pepper
- 1Soak the vermicelli in cold water to cover, for 20 minutes-- they should be pliable.
- 2(If using the wheat noodles, boil for 2-4 minutes, drain in a colander, run under cold water and drain again.) Mix soy, sambal ulek, molasses and vinegar in a small bowl, set aside.
- 3Drain the vermicelli.
- 4Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat, and then swirl the oil in.
- 5Stir fry the curry, ginger, garlic and scallion whites for 20 seconds (do not brown).
- 6Add the pork, shrimp and pepper, and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, until cooked.
- 7Stir in the noodles, soy sauce mixture, scallion greens and bean sprouts.
- 8Stir fry for 1-2 minutes, or until noodles are soft.
- 9Add salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Singapore Style Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.8
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 88.0 mg
- Sodium 1385.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 24.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar