Recipe by Member #610488
Who said Singapore makes BBQ the way we do here in the West? Great recipe from a hawker stall in Singapore.
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 10 ounces orange juice, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork spareribs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 5 sticks cinnamon
- 7 star anise
- white sugar, to taste
- peanut oil (for frying) or corn oil (for frying)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, stir together light and dark soy sauces, crushed peppercorns, garlic, and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Separate ribs between each bone into individual ribs, and place in the marinade.
- Cover, and set aside for at least 30 minutes. (If marinating much longer than 30 minutes, refrigerate.).
- Transfer marinade to a large stockpot, and set ribs aside. To the stockpot add remaining 1 cup orange juice, water, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Carefully place ribs in oil, and fry for 2 minutes per side, or until edges are sealed.
- Transfer to the stockpot, and boil, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cover, and simmer for 1 hour, adding hard boiled eggs at this point, if using.