Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the recipe for the Singapore Chile Crabs enjoyed by Singaporeans and foreigners alike.
- 1 kg fresh crab
- 8 dried red chilies
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 150 g dried shrimp
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornflour
- 10 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 piece ginger, sliced
- corn oil
- minced garlic
- Blend garlic, ginger, dried chile, dried shrimp in a blender to form a smooth paste.
- Stir-fry the paste in 30 tbsp of hot corn oil til fragrant.
- Transfer to a deep bowl.
- Clean crabs and cut each into 4-6 pieces.
- Crack the claws with a pestle.
- Stir-fy 10 tsp of minced garlic in 20 tbsp of hot corn oil till fragrant.
- Add crabs and stir-fry for about 10 minute.
- Cover and cook for another minute.
- Uncover and stir briskly once more.
- Add in 1/2 cup of water, light soya sauce and 20 tbsp of the paste.
- Stir well and cover for 10 minutes.
- Thicken the gravy with 10 tbsp of cornflour solution.
- Whip egg and stir into the chilli crabs and bring to a boil.
- Serve with rice or bread.
Used this today and dish came out delicious. I had to second guess when and how to use the onions, which I blended together with the other ingredients, and also when to add the tomato ketchup, which I added just before the corn flour solution. Otherwise instructions were clear and simple. Jennifer