1/3 Photos of Singapore Black Pepper Crab
From the cookbook Spice It - given to me recently as a present by my ex husband! I have developed a real love of crabs and am pretty handy at catching and dispatching of them now days. It's a great way to fill in a few hours: catching, cooking, cleaning and picking or eating them and makes me feel like a real "hunter and gatherer"!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons ketjap manis
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 kg raw blue swimmer crabs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 -2 red chile, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1Put kecap manis, oyster sauce, sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl, stir, then set aside.
- 2Pull back the apron of each crab, remove top shell, then intestines and feathery gills. Rinse quickly.
- 3Cut each crab into quarters and crack the legs gently (I use a meat mallet) so the flavours can enter.
- 4Heat the oil in a very large wok over high heat; add the crab pieces and stir fry in batches until the shell is bright orange and the meat almost cooked (about 5 minutes). Remove and repeat until all is cooked.
- 5Add the butter, ginger, garlic, chilli, black and white peppers and coriander to the wok; stir fry 30 seconds.
- 6Add the sauce mixture and stir; bring to the boil, then simmer 2 minutes.
- 7Return the crab to the wok and toss to coat in the sauce.
- 8Cook a further 2-3 minutes to finish cooking the crab then garnish with the spring onions and coriander leaves.
- 9Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Singapore Black Pepper Crab
Serving Size: 1 (563 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.8
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 401.4 mg
- Sodium 1876.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 91.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: