I'm not sure how you could get any more chocolate into this moist yummy layer cake. So very good, rich, sinful.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, room templ
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces chocolate pudding mix, 1/2 of a 4 oz box
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot cocoa, boiling hot
Chocolate Mousse Filling
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened bakers chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 ounces chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped stiff
- 6 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 3 ounces strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream
- Chocolate Cake:.
- Cream butter, being careful to keep butter cool.
- Cream butter and sugar at meduim speed for 3 to 5 minutes until light and airy.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending completely.
- add vanilla, beat well.
- Combine all dry ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately to the butter mixture, ending with dry. Mix only to combine.
- Stir in the hot chocolate, batter will be a little runny.
- Bake in 13 x 9 baking pan until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. About 35 to 40 minutes. You can also use 2 9 x 5 bread pans or 2 9 inch cake pans. Grease and Flour whatever pan you use.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes in pan, and then on wire rack. I cool the cakes in the frige while making all the fillings and frostings.
- The cake will likely be soft, and crumbly. It may drop in the middle a little too, don't worry if this happens.
- Chocolate Mousse Filling:.
- combine melted chocolate (I melt in microwave) with condensed milk.
- Add water and pudding mix, stir until combined.
- Cool for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- fold in whipped cream, the chocolate mixture will be very thick so this will take a bit of stirring.
- divide in half.
- Make either the strawberry filling or the chocolate filling (unless you'd like both).
- Strawberry Filling:.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat and stir constantly until everything is dissolved and it begins to thicken. Bring to boil while stirring for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. It will thicken more in the refrigerator. Cool in refrigerator.
- Divide in half.
- Chocolate Filling:.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Gradually add milk.
- Cook and stir until it boils, stirring constantly for one minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Cool in refrigerator.
- Divide in half.
- Crumble the cake and divide into 3 somewhat equal portions.
- line the bottom of a serving bowl with one portion of cake.
- spead with chocolate mousse.
- spread with either strawberry filling or chocolate filling.
- repeat layers (cake, mousse and filling).
- Garnish with whipped cream and strawberries if you would like.
The adults shared this cake at our oldest Granddaughter's 4th birthday celebration. Too good to share with the little ones. This cake has everything a chocoholic desires plus strawberries without being overly sweet. Delicious, decadent and looks good, too. This is definitely one you want to have again and again. The kind of cake you sneak down to the refrigerator in the middle of the night for just one more taste.