Recipe by Papagayita
Delicious, vegan, soy-free oatmeal bars that are endlessly adaptable to tastes or dietary needs. Great for nursing mothers. These freeze very well.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 6 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 cup dates (soaked in 1-2 C water-save water and use in recipe)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter (or neutral oil)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dates in water for at least 30 minutes. Blend dates, soaking water and bananas until smooth.
- Combine ground flax with 1/4 C warm water and stir. Let sit for 15+ minutes to create a “vegan egg.” If not using ground flax grind your chia seeds before mixing into water.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix in banana-date mixture and flax egg. Stir to combine and add water if needed.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes in a 9x11 baking pan.