Recipe by Bergy
If you like eggplant hold on to your bippy! This is good! It is not as high in calories as you may suspect.
Top Review by Sharon123
This was delicious! The parmesan cheese mixed with the breadcrumbs was good and everyone liked it. I halved the recipe and added just slightly more mozzarella cheese. I used leftover spaghetti sauce and served it with the leftover spaghetti and green beans. Yum!
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten with the salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs eggplants, sliced crossways into 8 slices
- lite olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 3 cups low fat tomatoe based pasta sauce (use ready made or look for a recipe on Zaar)
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (4oz)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine parmesan, basil& bread crumbs, mix.
- Drain the eggplant slices on paper towels (slightly salt the eggplant).
- Dip the eggplant slices into the the egg white/salt mixture.
- Dip into the crumbs and cover well, redip if necessary.
- Spray baking sheet with olive oil and place the crumbed eggplant sliced on the tray.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the top s of the eggplant slices.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn over& spray each slice again with olive oil.
- Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes.
- Now spoon 1 cup pasta sauce into a 9x13" baking dish.
- top with half the egg plant slices.
- Spoon another cup of sauce over the eggplant and a half cup mozzarello.
- Repeat with eggplant, sauce and remaining mozzarello.
- Sprikle with Parsley.
- Return to oven and finish baking for about 20 minutes until the cheese is completely melted& bubbling.