Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you like eggplant hold on to your bippy! This is good! It is not as high in calories as you may suspect.
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten with the salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs eggplants, sliced crossways into 8 slices
- lite olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 3 cups low fat tomatoe based pasta sauce (use ready made or look for a recipe on Zaar)
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (4oz)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine parmesan, basil& bread crumbs, mix.
- Drain the eggplant slices on paper towels (slightly salt the eggplant).
- Dip the eggplant slices into the the egg white/salt mixture.
- Dip into the crumbs and cover well, redip if necessary.
- Spray baking sheet with olive oil and place the crumbed eggplant sliced on the tray.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the top s of the eggplant slices.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn over& spray each slice again with olive oil.
- Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes.
- Now spoon 1 cup pasta sauce into a 9x13" baking dish.
- top with half the egg plant slices.
- Spoon another cup of sauce over the eggplant and a half cup mozzarello.
- Repeat with eggplant, sauce and remaining mozzarello.
- Sprikle with Parsley.
- Return to oven and finish baking for about 20 minutes until the cheese is completely melted& bubbling.
This was delicious! The parmesan cheese mixed with the breadcrumbs was good and everyone liked it. I halved the recipe and added just slightly more mozzarella cheese. I used leftover spaghetti sauce and served it with the leftover spaghetti and green beans. Yum!
This recipe was good. My meat and potatoes man suggested we add chicken next time! But he was interested in eating it again and that is a good enough test for me. I think I will use the coating for other vegetables, we ate some of the eggplant before we got it into the dish. My only problem was deciding how thick the eggplant needed to be. We cut them around 1/4 inch thick and that seemed to cook fine. Thanks for the recipe!
Loved it! This will be my standard Eggplant Parm recipe going forward! I salted the eggplant slices in a colander and let drain for an hour before rinsing the salt off. I just recently started doing this w/ eggplant recipes and find it makes them a lot less mushy. I used 2 whole eggs instead of egg whites b/c as another reviewer asked - why waste 4 egg yolks? I did not add salt. I used Panko break crumbs, which are another new discovery for me -- I MUCH prefer them to regular dried bread crumbs b/c they are lighter and result in a crispier coating. I used regular PAM b/c I didn't have olive oil spray.... the eggplant slices ended up very nicely browned on a dark cookie tray. 15 minutes per side was perfect. I used jarred marinara sauce and 2 cups of shredded mozzarella. Served w/ a big green salad. My boys wished there was pasta on the side but since the eggplant was breaded, I decided that this dinner didnt 'need more carbs.