Recipe by Pumpkie
The Ultimate Rich Chocolate Truffle Cake. This is not a very high cake, it will be high while cooking and then will fall when it comes out of the oven. Do not panic, it is suppose to be a short cake :) Cake should be placed in refridgerator overnight before taking out of pan and finishing recipe.
Top Review by Kitchen Witch Steph
My friend brought me a slice of this to the hospital after I gave birth to my third child. What a treat! Fresh raspberries accompanied it, just perfect with the cake. It is definitely rich, a small slice will do you. My advice is to have a lot of people over to share it with. I am fairly certain that my friend got the recipe out of her Goodhousekeeping Cookbook. When I make it, I feel reminded of how you make a cheesecake. It will be a bit wiggly still when it is done baking. Also, the texture is similar to a cheesecake...but all chocolate goodness. Trust me, this is a special dessert. You could seduce someone with it. Well, at least me anyway!
- 14 ounces semisweet chocolate (I use Ghiradelli bar chocolate)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I use bakers)
- 1 cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 9 large eggs, separated (you use both the yolk and whites)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Remove the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan and cover with tin foil, wrapping foil around to the back (this will make it easier to remove cake from pan).
- Replace bottom of pan in springform.
- Grease and flour bottom and side of pan.
- In heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine semisweet and unsweetened chocolates and butter and melt over very low heat, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl with mixer at high speed beat egg yolks and sugar until very thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the egg yolk mixture to the chocolate mixture, stirring with rubber spatula until blended.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat a high speed the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- With rubber spatula fold beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture, one third at a time, make sure you fold not stir.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE Cake will firm up while standing and chilling, it is a truffle cake not a standard cake.
- Cool cake completely in pan on a cake rack.
- When cool refridgerate overnight in pan.
- In the morning to remove the cake from pan, run a hot knife, (run knife under hot water) around edge of cake, and unhook spring latch on side of pan and lift off side of pan.
- Invert cake onto cake plate, unwrap foil from bottom of pan and lift off bottom of pan.
- To decorate top of cake using a fine sieve, sprinkle with confectioners sugar, or I made a heart stencil with paper for valentines day and placed on top of cake to create a heart outline with the sugar.
- Refrigerate cake and remove 15 minutes before serving.