Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is one of my most requested desserts--a chocoholics delight! It's easy and can be made the day before--what more do you need? There rarely are any leftovers!
Top Review by kllovestocookandbake
This was extremely yummy! I topped my outside edge with whipped cream from a can. But the clincher was...Maraschino cherries (with stems) soaked in Grand Marnier Liquer for a few hours. Then slightly freeze them and dip them into melted chocolate and set in freezer for a couple of hours to set the chocolate. Put on the outside on top of whipped cream edges. My guests were moaning! My husband, a chocoholic said it was the best mousse he'd ever had!!
- 3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (I use Oreo crumbs in the box or Nabisco chocolate wafer cookies crushed in the food processor)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 lb nestle chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream (to garnish)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: combine crumbs and butter.
- Press on bottom and 2/3 up the sides of a 10 inch springform pan.
- Chill in freezer while making filling.
- For filling: Melt chocolate chips in the top half of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Let cool about 5 minutes.
- Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- (Chocolate will stiffen somewhat, just keep beating!) Add egg yolks and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Whip cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Beat egg white until stiff, but not dry.
- Stir about 1/2 c of the whipped cream and 1/2 c the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture, to "lighten" it.
- Fold in remaining cream and whites until completely incorporated.
- Pour into prepared crust and chill at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- To garnish: Sprinkle unflavored gelatin onto remaining 1 c whipping cream to soften.
- Add 4 T powdered sugar and whip until firm.
- This whipped cream will hold up indefinitely.
- Garnish top of dessert with this.
- You can be fancy and pipe rosettes, or just "fluff" it around the edge of the mousse with a fork.
- A dusting of cocoa powder is a nice finishing touch.
- For a real "show stopper", melt about 4 oz chocolate chips and 3/4 t solid vegetable shortening together.
- Coat the underside of waxy leaves, such as camillas, refrigerate until firm.
- Peel off the leaves and place the chocolate leaves around the edge of the mousse.