1/1 Photo of Sinful Chocolate Mousse Dessert
1 hr 5 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is one of my most requested desserts--a chocoholics delight! It's easy and can be made the day before--what more do you need? There rarely are any leftovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (I use Oreo crumbs in the box or Nabisco chocolate wafer cookies crushed in the food processor)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1For crust: combine crumbs and butter.
- 2Press on bottom and 2/3 up the sides of a 10 inch springform pan.
- 3Chill in freezer while making filling.
- 4For filling: Melt chocolate chips in the top half of a double boiler over simmering water.
- 5Let cool about 5 minutes.
- 6Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- 7(Chocolate will stiffen somewhat, just keep beating!) Add egg yolks and mix until thoroughly blended.
- 8Whip cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- 9Beat egg white until stiff, but not dry.
- 10Stir about 1/2 c of the whipped cream and 1/2 c the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture, to "lighten" it.
- 11Fold in remaining cream and whites until completely incorporated.
- 12Pour into prepared crust and chill at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- 13To garnish: Sprinkle unflavored gelatin onto remaining 1 c whipping cream to soften.
- 14Add 4 T powdered sugar and whip until firm.
- 15This whipped cream will hold up indefinitely.
- 16Garnish top of dessert with this.
- 17You can be fancy and pipe rosettes, or just "fluff" it around the edge of the mousse with a fork.
- 18A dusting of cocoa powder is a nice finishing touch.
- 19For a real "show stopper", melt about 4 oz chocolate chips and 3/4 t solid vegetable shortening together.
- 20Coat the underside of waxy leaves, such as camillas, refrigerate until firm.
- 21Peel off the leaves and place the chocolate leaves around the edge of the mousse.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sinful Chocolate Mousse Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 763.6
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.6 g
- Cholesterol 226.4 mg
- Sodium 304.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 9.5 g