Recipe by minnie chef
This is my favorite brownie recipe, period. Super-chocolatey brownie swirled with twice the cream cheese of other marbled brownies. Chocolate chips are optional, but give the brownie more texture. I use the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate bar and Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. From David Lebovitz (check his website for more fantastic recipes!)
Top Review by Glimmer
This was a mixed result in our house. I thought the texture was strange and the whole thing not sweet enough but the DBF liked them. I did make a change that could have affected the outcome but it shouldn't have. I didn't have any semi sweet chocolate so I did the conversion with bakers chocolate so it should have been alright but who knows when you are baking. I definitely think you have to like dark chocolate (he loves it....I don't) to love these. They are easy to make and made him happy so thanks!
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 113.39 g bittersweet chocolate or 113.39 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml flour
- 14.79 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 0.59 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml chocolate chips
- 226.79 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 73.94 ml sugar
- 0.59 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9-inch (23cm) square pan with foil, making sure it goes up all four sides. Use two sheets if necessary. Mist with non-stick spray or grease lightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180C).
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in the 2/3 cup (130g) sugar, then the eggs.
- Mix in the flour, cocoa powder and salt, then the vanilla and chocolate chips. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the yolk, 5 tablespoons (75g) of sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Distribute the cream cheese mixture in eight dollops across the top of the brownie mixture, then take a dull knife or spatula and swirl the cream cheese mixture with the chocolate batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the batter in the center of the pan feels just set.
- Let cool, then lift out the foil and peel it away. Cut the brownies into squares.
- Storage: These will keep in an airtight container for a couple of days. They also freeze well, too.