This is my favorite brownie recipe, period. Super-chocolatey brownie swirled with twice the cream cheese of other marbled brownies. Chocolate chips are optional, but give the brownie more texture. I use the Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate bar and Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. From David Lebovitz (check his website for more fantastic recipes!)
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 113.39 g bittersweet chocolate or 113.39 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml flour
- 14.79 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 0.59 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml chocolate chips
- 226.79 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 73.94 ml sugar
- 0.59 ml vanilla extract
- Line a 9-inch (23cm) square pan with foil, making sure it goes up all four sides. Use two sheets if necessary. Mist with non-stick spray or grease lightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180C).
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in the 2/3 cup (130g) sugar, then the eggs.
- Mix in the flour, cocoa powder and salt, then the vanilla and chocolate chips. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the yolk, 5 tablespoons (75g) of sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Distribute the cream cheese mixture in eight dollops across the top of the brownie mixture, then take a dull knife or spatula and swirl the cream cheese mixture with the chocolate batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the batter in the center of the pan feels just set.
- Let cool, then lift out the foil and peel it away. Cut the brownies into squares.
- Storage: These will keep in an airtight container for a couple of days. They also freeze well, too.
This recipe was easy to throw together and delicious! I had modified the size of the brownie recipe to 12 servings thinking to use a 9x13 pan, but ended up still using a 8x8. I'm glad I did, the suggested amount of batter would have made too thin of a brownie for my liking! The adjusted 12 serving recipe called for 2 2/3 eggs so I used 2 whole and a white with the yolk leftover for the cheesecake (which I left unadjusted). This was just what I was craving and a huge hit at the picnic I took them to!
Delicious brownies! Very sinful. Next time I will have the cream cheese mixture ready before the brownie mixture as my brownie mixture got thick very fast as it cooled while i was mixing up the cheesecake. This made it almost impossible to swirl the 2 together. I will definatly make these again!