1/1 Photo of Simply the Best Tex Mex Casserole
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: An easy week night casserole. Take only 15 minutes to put together. Has plenty of flavor and spice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken breast or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (20 ounce) package shredded hash brown potatoes (Simply Potatoes brand Southwestern flavor preferred)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 1/2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2TO COOK THE FILLING: Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 3Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan.
- 4Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, red pepper and red onion.
- 5Brown the meat, 5 minutes.
- 6Add taco sauce or stewed or fire roasted tomatoes.
- 7Add black beans and corn.
- 8Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.
- 9In a separate frying pan cook hash browns according to direction on package. This can be done while you are frying up the meat.
- 10Assemble Casserole: Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick stray.
- 11Layer half the cooked hash browns in the pan.
- 12Build casserole in layers of filling, ½ cheese and the rest of the hash browns, then cheese.
- 13Bake casserole 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- 14Top with the scallions.
- 15*NOTE* You can serve with salsa, sour cream and sliced avocado on the side as additional toppings.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simply the Best Tex Mex Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.8
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 97.8 mg
- Sodium 808.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 37.8 g