Recipe by aronsinvest
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: An easy week night casserole. Take only 15 minutes to put together. Has plenty of flavor and spice.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken breast or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (20 ounce) package shredded hash brown potatoes (Simply Potatoes brand Southwestern flavor preferred)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 1⁄2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- TO COOK THE FILLING: Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan.
- Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, red pepper and red onion.
- Brown the meat, 5 minutes.
- Add taco sauce or stewed or fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add black beans and corn.
- Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.
- In a separate frying pan cook hash browns according to direction on package. This can be done while you are frying up the meat.
- Assemble Casserole: Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick stray.
- Layer half the cooked hash browns in the pan.
- Build casserole in layers of filling, ½ cheese and the rest of the hash browns, then cheese.
- Bake casserole 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Top with the scallions.
- *NOTE* You can serve with salsa, sour cream and sliced avocado on the side as additional toppings.