Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
A combination of different recipes. I couldn't find any one recipe that tasted the way I like bean soup. Try it you will like it.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 cup ham, chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -2 carrot, diced
- 1 -2 stalk celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 -12 peppercorns, in a teaball stainer
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Rinse and sort out navy beans.
- In a crock pot cover beans with 4 cups of chicken broth and soak overnight.
- Next day: Do not drain off broth.
- Add 2 more cups of chicken broth.
- Add remaining ingredients .
- Cook on high 3 to 4 hours until ham hocks become tender.
- Remove meat from hocks and cut into small pieces,return to mixture.
- Continue cooking on low for another 6 to 8 hours.
- You may have to add additional chicken broth if soup too thick. If too thin add instant potatoes.
I chose to make this because of its many hearty ingredients. I have always used chicken stock for my bean soup base so I knew it was going to be good. I never had ham hocks but used a large quantity of ham pieces and chunks with the addition of 3 Johnsonville Jalapeño and Cheddar smoked pork sausage links. And it tasted incredible! I wish you could taste it as well and you will if you make this.
Really delicious! I loved the tomato sauce touch! I made exactly as directed and LOVED IT!
This bean soup recipe is "Simply the best." It is low carb too--no potatoes like most other bean soup recipes. The tomato sauce, celery salt and cider vinegar add just the right touch.