Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've been playing around with stuffed mushrooms for quite awhile and finally I've made one that everyone loves.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced celery
- 1 ounce white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 ounces dungeness crabs or 4 ounces lump crabmeat or 4 ounces king crab meat
- 1 ounce heavy cream or 1 ounce half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese or 1⁄4 cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 16 stuffing mushrooms, stems removed
- 16 slices swiss cheese (small thin slices) or 16 slices cheddar cheese (small thin slices)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat and sauté onion and celery until soft. Add wine, seasonings, lemon juice and crabmeat; simmer about 3 minutes.
- Add cream and shredded cheese; cook until cheese melts. Add breadcrumbs and stir well.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps and top with slices of cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
I used a blend of Cheddar and Mozzarella for these and they were wonderfully flavored and the cheese mix was perfect on top with a nice balance of flavors. These were gone in no time and I was asked for the recipe several times! This is going into my favorite appetizer folder for future use!
The title of the recipe is no exaggeration. The mushrooms were wonderful. I was a bit heavyhanded with the wine (might have doubled it), added garlic and salt as well. I forgot to add the lemon juice but did't miss it with the lemony flavor of the thyme. Will make again.
Excellent Recipe... I tweaked it a little... I added garlic, and had to use crushed seasoned croutons instead of Breadcrumbs ( I realized too late that I didn't have any)... and I didn't top them with the cheese slices, I.. I also needed to add salt, since the recipe didn't mention any...