Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have always had trouble with my lemon pie filling separating and becoming runny, causing the crust to get soggy. This pie is thickened with a combination of cornstarch and flour and it holds together beautifully. Not only that, but it tastes great!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 large lemons, juice of
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 c sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in water and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot mixture.
- Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook, stirring constantly until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool slightly then pour into baked pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For meringue, whip 4 egg whites until foamy.
- Add 6 T sugar gradually and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over pie, sealing edges at the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
I am pretty sure this would have been even better if I had made it right. I put the juice of 3 lemons in and it was WAY too lemony. It was also too runny and didn't really solidify. It might have been from the extra lemon juice, or I didn't cook it long enough. I only cooked the filling for about 5 minutes after adding the eggs, so it must need longer. I don't do well with directions like "until thick" :)
This was my first ever attempt at Lemon Meringue Pie, and I was very pleased with the results. It was easy to make and very tasty. I also added 2 teaspoons of lemon zest to give it some extra tang. Mine did seperate a tiny bit, but I blame my inexperience for this as I was not sure just how think to make the filling, and I don't think I cooked it long enough. But it was still wonderful. Thanks!
This is a great pie! I like the fact that when you slice it, it stays together. Very easy to prepare, and super great flavor. DH loved it...as a matter of fact, I'm making another one today! LOL I also added plenty of zest and the vanilla. Thanks for sharing.