Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simply cook 4 ingredients together and add parsley. A delicious and easy side dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 12 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 2 lbs)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Over medium heat add 4 cups of cabbage and stir 1 minute.
- Add remaining cabbage, 4 cups at a time, and stir until cabbage is wilted.
- Mix sugar and vinegar, then add to cabbage and mix well.
- Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes (add a little water if the cabbage gets to dry).
- Season to taste and stir in parsley before serving.
This is a wonderful recipe for red cabbage...the genuine article. Just as I remember Blau Kraut from my days in Germany. I made 1/2 the recipe, but just as written. Traditionally I've seen it served with hard boiled eggs and cheese as a light supper. I ate it as a side with hamburger patties.
We made this last night and it got mixed reviews. I have a husband and 3 boys (ages 9, 10, & 13) First off, we couldn't eat in the kitchen because the kids and hubby couldn't handle the smell from making it =) My youngest 2 didn't like it at all. My husband said he wouldn't mind it once in a while. My oldest LOVED it! He thinks next time we should add some cooked pork, and shredded carrots and serve it with rice. He did think there was a bit too much sauce for the amount of cabbage, which should be taken care of if served with rice. I enjoyed it. We will probably make it again, but with something else for the younger 2 to eat as a veg. Thanks for the recipe.
This was an easy and delicious recipe. I also replaced the sugar with 3 T. Splenda and I found it a bit sweeter than I had hoped, probably since I find balsamic vinegar a little sweet as well. Next time, I'll probably decrease the sweetener and hopefully more of the sourness from the vinegar wil come through. Thanks!