Recipe by Deb's Recipes
Easy to assemble, deliciously creamy and a great choice for once-a-month cooking. And there is NO canned cream soup in my enchiladas -- Hope you give them a try!
Top Review by rothiii
I followed this recipe to the letter and it was PHENOMINAL! Why do people have to "tweak" recipes? And then how can they rate your recipe as a "5" if they're, "I added this, and left out that". Aren't they then rating their own recipe? I regress...GREAT DISH, Deb.
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies or 2 fresh chili peppers, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan, cook chicken and onion together in oil over medium-high heat until chicken is just done.
- Divide cooked chicken evenly between 8 tortillas; add 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese to each tortilla.
- Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in a 9x13" baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour to make a roux, stir and cook until bubbly, and gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and green chilies.
- Pour sauce evenly over enchiladas.
- Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese (a baking dish may be double-wrapped and frozen at this point) and bake at 400° F for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.