Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lighter version of Paula Dean's potato cakes done by her son Bobby Dean from his show "Not My Mama's Meals".
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 slices bacon
- 6 yukon gold potatoes, small, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut lengthwise in half
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt, nonfat and plain
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups panko breadcrumbs, plain
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, finely chopped
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet, keeping the drippings in the skillet.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Chop the bacon and reserve.
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Return the potatoes and garlic to the pot.
- Mash with the broth, yogurt, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup panko, the cheese, scallions and reserved bacon.
- Shape into eight 3-inch patties. Place the remaining 3/4 cup panko in a shallow dish and dredge the patties in the crumbs.
- Heat the bacon drippings over medium-high heat.
- Add half the potato cakes and cook until browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Carefully transfer to a serving platter.
- Repeat with the potato cakes. Serve hot.