Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lighter version of Paula Dean's potato cakes done by her son Bobby Dean from his show "Not My Mama's Meals".
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 slices bacon
- 6 yukon gold potatoes, small, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut lengthwise in half
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt, nonfat and plain
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups panko breadcrumbs, plain
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, finely chopped
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet, keeping the drippings in the skillet.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Chop the bacon and reserve.
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Return the potatoes and garlic to the pot.
- Mash with the broth, yogurt, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup panko, the cheese, scallions and reserved bacon.
- Shape into eight 3-inch patties. Place the remaining 3/4 cup panko in a shallow dish and dredge the patties in the crumbs.
- Heat the bacon drippings over medium-high heat.
- Add half the potato cakes and cook until browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Carefully transfer to a serving platter.
- Repeat with the potato cakes. Serve hot.