Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Based loosely on Emeril Legasse's recipe for cucumbers in dressing, but adding thinly sliced white onion and *Mary Jane's Crazy salt* to the dish prior to serving. Cooking time = refrigeration time.
- 3 large English seedless cucumbers (about 1 pound each, or 3 pounds regular cucumbers)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, prefer kosher salt
- 1 medium white onion, sliced thinly into rings
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or splenda)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crazy jane's mixed up salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Peel the cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon scoop out the seeds and watery center from each half, forming a shallow groove down the center.
- Using a sharp paring knife, slice the cucumbers crosswise as thinly as possible, ideally about 1/8-inch thick, or use a mandolin to get even, thin slices.
- Place the cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Using clean hands, toss to combine the cucumbers with the salt and allow to stand, refrigerated, for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
- Using clean hands, squeeze handfuls of cucumber slices to release any excess liquid and transfer to a medium nonreactive bowl.
- In another medium a glass bowl, combine white vinegar, cider vinegar, and sugar, and Crazy salt. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers, adding onion slices, the chopped chives, and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir to combine, serve, or refrigerate up to 12 hours or overnight and serve cold, with a slotted spoon on the side.
- Oh boy!
Mmmm good cukes - I didn't peel them or take out seeds cause it was a skinny little cuke - I was amazed how so little vinegar can give so much flavor. I only made 1/2 an English cuke so cut everything back but I did the vinegar dressing at a ratio of 3 tbsp vinegar(2 + 1). I love the added crazy salt & chili flakes. If I were making the entire recipe I would put the cukes in a ziplock bag so I could keep turning them to get the vinegar evenly distributed on all the slices Thanks andi for a winner
Yum yum yum! What a tasty salad, we especially love the tangy dressing. Made as directed but didn't bother to seed the cucs and had to make my own crazy salt. I'll make this all summer long. Thank you, Andi! Made for Down on the Farm tag in the food photo forum.
I used run of the mill New Jersey cukes and sliced them paper thin with a potato peeler! I also used white wine vinegar instead of the plain white vinegar and omitted the chili flakes. This is the first recipe besides my own that I have seen Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt in and I couldn't believe how it enhanced the other flavors. I also used fresh chives from my garden. My DH and I are in love with this lovely rendition of Cucumber salad! Thank you Andi so much for posting it! Made for the Diabetic forum's Tailgate Party tag.