Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I wanted to make my father a nice dessert for Father's Day this year. My father loves home made cakes and fresh fruit, my girlfriend LOVES strawberries, and my mom, (whose lost over 75 pounds!) can't have high calorie/fat desserts. This was my attempt to make something to that everyone could enjoy! I adapted this from Kraft Food and Family magazine to make it a bit more figure friendly.
- 1 cup skim milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups Jiffy baking mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package fat free sugar-free instant cheesecake pudding mix (vanilla flavored works too)
- 8 ounces light whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 4 cups strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix 1/2 cup of the skim milk, sour cream and 3 tbsp sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in the dry biscuit mix until well blended.
- Spread evenly into a greased 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until top is golden.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Mix strawberry slices and 1/3 cup Splenda in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the dry pudding mix and remaining 1/2 cup skim milk adn mix well.
- Gently stir in half of the whipped topping until well blended.
- When cake has cooled, carefully slice in half horizontally to make 2 layers.
- Place bottom of cake on a serving plate, and top evenly with half of the strawberry mixture.
- Spread top of strawberries with the pudding mixture and top with the top cake layer.
- Spread remaining whipped topping on top of cake and top with remaining strawberries.
- Serve immediately!
- Please store cake leftovers in refrigerator.
I made this a couple of nights ago. Overall, it was very good, but I think there was an error in the recipe. It called for 4 oz of fat-free, sugar-free instant pudding. One box is 1.4 oz, and after adding just two boxes, I had what was the consistency of paste for the filling. I'm pretty sure it should have said 1.4 ozs.
Other than that the recipe was wonderful. We'll definitely make it again.
OMG, this is wonderful! I made it for DH's B-day (he's a new diabetic and needed some pampering for his special day). I made the full recipe but as I knew that there was going to be left over I made shortbread muffins so that I could make individual servings. That way I could pack the berries and cream and cake remains seperatly and have them all good for use the next day. I can tell you that this dessert was a smash hit all around. Those that said they would pass on dessert rapidly changed their mind once they saw these beautiful creations. The cream mis is out of this world and it will be my standard "go to" topping/filling now. I want to try it with chocolate pudding next. :D
10 stars!! This is amazing and so easy! We made this for Father's Day and it was a huge success!! I did need more milk for my pudding mixture but otherwise made it as written. We will be making this for all the 4th of July too! It is such a show stopper!Thank you so much!!