Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I wanted to make my father a nice dessert for Father's Day this year. My father loves home made cakes and fresh fruit, my girlfriend LOVES strawberries, and my mom, (whose lost over 75 pounds!) can't have high calorie/fat desserts. This was my attempt to make something to that everyone could enjoy! I adapted this from Kraft Food and Family magazine to make it a bit more figure friendly.
Top Review by thecococabana
I was asked to make a low cal/fat strawberry shortcake. I found and made this one. It was VERY well received. Everyone loved it! Few things to note: due to an allergy, I substituted plain non-fat yogurt for the sour cream (1:1 ration). I also substituted Truvia (stevia natural sweetner) for the splenda (1:1 ratio). People were happy to report that the Truvia did not have an aftertaste, as sometimes stevia can. I saw below that p_dshipman thought the recipe should have called for 1.4 oz package of pudding mix (instead of 3.5 oz). So when I made the whipped topping I did use only 1 (1.4oz) box and it tasted/worked great. Next time I make it though, I will double the whipped topping so I can be more generous with that deliciousness. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!
- 1 cup skim milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups Jiffy baking mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package fat free sugar-free instant cheesecake pudding mix (vanilla flavored works too)
- 8 ounces light whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 4 cups strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix 1/2 cup of the skim milk, sour cream and 3 tbsp sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir in the dry biscuit mix until well blended.
- Spread evenly into a greased 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until top is golden.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Mix strawberry slices and 1/3 cup Splenda in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the dry pudding mix and remaining 1/2 cup skim milk adn mix well.
- Gently stir in half of the whipped topping until well blended.
- When cake has cooled, carefully slice in half horizontally to make 2 layers.
- Place bottom of cake on a serving plate, and top evenly with half of the strawberry mixture.
- Spread top of strawberries with the pudding mixture and top with the top cake layer.
- Spread remaining whipped topping on top of cake and top with remaining strawberries.
- Serve immediately!
- Please store cake leftovers in refrigerator.