Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Wonderful, traditional style scones. Goes great with coffee and tea. You can experiment with different fruit. Fruit can be fresh, frozen or dried. I particularly like using fresh blueberries when they are plentiful in the summer.
- In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in the butter. Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Gently fold in the blueberries (or fruit of your choice).
- Halve the dough. Turn one half dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4" thick round. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut into 8 wedges and place them 2" apart on baking sheet (they will expand).
- Bake 12 - 15 minutes in preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.
- Repeat with second half of dough.
These scones are very, very tasty! They have a cake-like texture with a crunchy crust and taste very fruity and yummy! For this Id luv to give them way more than 5 stars! Unfortunately though I did have a little trouble with the dough: It was very sticky and I couldnt separate the triangles before baking, so that I had to bake them as a disk and cut after baking. This way they took a full hour to bake... Other than that though, this is a lovely recipe and I will surely make it again and see if the problem persists. I added 1 ts vanilla extract to the batter, which complimented my choice of berries (blueberries and red currants) very nicely. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this treat with us, Crafty Lady 13! Made and reviewed for the Red, White and Blue Event in the Bevy Tag Game July 09.
Another delicious recipe from Crafty Lady13. I love scones, especially with tea. I used blueberries this time. Plan to try raspberries or huckleberies nest time, and there will definitely be a next time! I decided to glaze this bacth for my DD and her freinds - otherwise made as directed. Will make next batch without (my preference). ;)
I would give these more than 5 stars if I could. These are so moist and tender. I used orange-flavored dried cranberries as my fruit. The next day I took one to work for breakfast and it was still moist. Thanks for a great recipe I will used again soon. Made for Beverage Tag.