Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of Emeril's.
- 4 -6 large red onions, quartered (3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup garlic clove, peeled (2 large heads)
- 2 shallots, peeled (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon seasoning salt (or Emeril's Essence)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons sage (fresh)
- 2 teaspoons thyme (fresh)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the onions, garlic, and shallots in a roasting pan in a single layer. Add the olive oil and seasoning salt, and toss to coat. Roast until well browned, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set over 2 burners on medium-low heat. Add 2 cups of chicken stock, sage, thyme and salt. Cook for 10 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to incorporate any of the caramelized bits from the bottom.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large pot over medium-low heat. Add remaining 4 cups chicken stock and balsamic vinegar, and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and stir in cream. Serve with French bread.