Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy potato dish that's real comfort food! Simple and rich, made fresh at home with common pantry ingredients. Never buy a box of Betty Crockers Scalloped Potatoes again! Easy to halve the measurements to make a 4 serving size.
- Use a big pot.
- Saute chopped onions in margarine til soft but not browned.
- In small bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir flour mixture into onion mixture then add milk and half and half and stir and cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken (about 3 minutes).
- Turn off heat.
- Add 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar to the sauce and stir til melted and smooth.
- Add sliced potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into a 9 by 13 casserole dish that you have sprayed with Pam.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take foil off and sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup cheese over top (or more as desired).
- Return to oven to bake another 30 minutes or so or until potatoes are soft, cheese is melted and edges begin to lightly brown.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving to allow sauce to thicken.
Very yummy. I wasn't sure the potatoes would cook quickly enough, even though I sliced them fairly thinly, so I blanched them for about 2 or 3 minutes before adding them to the cheese and onion mixture. I added some chives and will try fresh or dried dill next time, just for variety; I love playing with the recipes a bit. This is a pretty simple dish to make. I make scalloped potatoes which are similar to this but spend about 10 minutes carefully layering the potatoes. Glad I tried this recipe that just lets me dump them into the casserole dish. It tastes just the same and has the same texture and general appearance.
Wow! Fast and Easy, even faster if you microwave the sliced potatoes in a dish w/ a quarter cup water and salt. Cover with plastic wrap tightly and microwave 15 minutes. I did this while sauting the onions on low til they were almost "golden" It all pretty much finished at the same time. After it was all assembled, I just put in oven for 30 minutes to flavor the taters. This was delicous! In fact, if I didn't add the cheese and/or potatoes, it made delicious onion gravy or more milk and a creamy onion soup. I'll be using this method to cook a LOT of different things THANKS!
Tasty dish! I made a 1/2 recipe tonight and put the potatoes in a 8X11? (smaller rectangle) glass baking dish. It cooked perfectly in the time called for. The only change I made was that I didn't peel my potatoes and used the food processor for slicing. Good comfort food.