Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy potato dish that's real comfort food! Simple and rich, made fresh at home with common pantry ingredients. Never buy a box of Betty Crockers Scalloped Potatoes again! Easy to halve the measurements to make a 4 serving size.
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Use a big pot.
- Saute chopped onions in margarine til soft but not browned.
- In small bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir flour mixture into onion mixture then add milk and half and half and stir and cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken (about 3 minutes).
- Turn off heat.
- Add 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar to the sauce and stir til melted and smooth.
- Add sliced potatoes and stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into a 9 by 13 casserole dish that you have sprayed with Pam.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take foil off and sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup cheese over top (or more as desired).
- Return to oven to bake another 30 minutes or so or until potatoes are soft, cheese is melted and edges begin to lightly brown.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving to allow sauce to thicken.
Very yummy. I wasn't sure the potatoes would cook quickly enough, even though I sliced them fairly thinly, so I blanched them for about 2 or 3 minutes before adding them to the cheese and onion mixture. I added some chives and will try fresh or dried dill next time, just for variety; I love playing with the recipes a bit. This is a pretty simple dish to make. I make scalloped potatoes which are similar to this but spend about 10 minutes carefully layering the potatoes. Glad I tried this recipe that just lets me dump them into the casserole dish. It tastes just the same and has the same texture and general appearance.
Tasty dish! I made a 1/2 recipe tonight and put the potatoes in a 8X11? (smaller rectangle) glass baking dish. It cooked perfectly in the time called for. The only change I made was that I didn't peel my potatoes and used the food processor for slicing. Good comfort food.
Wow! Fast and Easy, even faster if you microwave the sliced potatoes in a dish w/ a quarter cup water and salt. Cover with plastic wrap tightly and microwave 15 minutes. I did this while sauting the onions on low til they were almost "golden" It all pretty much finished at the same time. After it was all assembled, I just put in oven for 30 minutes to flavor the taters. This was delicous! In fact, if I didn't add the cheese and/or potatoes, it made delicious onion gravy or more milk and a creamy onion soup. I'll be using this method to cook a LOT of different things THANKS!