Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. The perfect tasting pierogies with half the effort.
Make and share this Simply Potatoes Pierogies #5FIX recipe from Food.com.
- Cook the potatoes according to package directions. Use a ricer or fork to blend (do not mash). Some small pieces of the potatoes should remain. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, fry the bacon over medium low heat until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Reserve half of the bacon grease in the skillet and discard the rest. When bacon cools, crumble, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining bacon grease in the skillet over medium low heat, add the onions and saute until carmelized, about 15-20 minutes. Transfer 1 cup to a bowl and set aside. Reserve the remaining onions in a seperate bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta shells and following package directions, cook al dente; about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Combine the crumbled bacon and 1 cup of the carmelized onions in the bowl with the potatoes. Add in 1 cup of the cheese and stir to blend.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup cheese to the reserved onions, stir to blend and set aside.
- Lightly grease a 9inch x 13inch baking dish. Stuff each shell with a portion of the potato mixture and place in the dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and place a dollup of the reserved cheese and onion mixture on top of each shell.
- Return to the oven uncovered and bake for an additional 10 minutes or place under the broiler (low) for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place 3 shells on each plate and serve.