Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry -- Made for either vegetarian or omnivores, this traditional recipe is sure to inspire anyone for St. Patrick's Day. Though versions of this dish are found world wide, folks here in North America connect to their Irish immigrated family and/or friends with this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, medium to large, diced
- 1 lb vegetarian ground meat or 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (vegetarian version available)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 2 teaspoon fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 teaspoon fresh)
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 cup peas (canned or frozen)
- 1 cup black beans (canned or home cooked)
- 1Prepare "Simply Potatoes" Traditional Mashed Potatoes per package directions.
- 2Once prepared, mix in egg yolk until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Preheat oven to 400f.
- 4Saute onion and carrots in 3T broth over medium low heat, until slightly soft. (approx. 4-5 min).
- 5Add garlic, and stir to combine.
- 6Add ground meat, salt and pepper to your liking, and cook until browned and cooked through. (veggie meat: cook until incorporated and hot).
- 7Sprinkle mixture with flour, mixing to cost, and cook for about a minute to cook the flour.
- 8Add tomato paste, remaining broth, worchestershire, & herbs; stir to combine.
- 9Bring to a boil, reduce to very low, and simmer until sauce thickens.
- 10Add peas and corn to mixture, and spread in 11x7 pan, or deep pie plat.
- 11Spread prepared "Simply Potatoes" Traditional Mashed Potatoes over the top of the mixture smoothing with a spatula, covering entire top, all the way to the edges. One could add a little shredded cheese or parmesan to the topping for some extra flavor.
- 12Bake in the center of the oven, on a cookie sheet to catch any drippings from sauce cooking over.
- 13Bake 25-30 minutes, until top browns in areas.
- 14Cool 10-15 minutes to allow sauce to set before serving.
- 15Consider serving with ketchup and hot sauce (Texas Pete, Tobasco, Chalula, Tapatio) for those who like a little extra tang.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simply Potatoes Beef Shepards Pie With Vegetarian Option
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 299.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes