Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry -- A rustic and flavorful dish which is a meal in itself. The texture and taste of the main ingredients (potatoes and shrimp) are present in every bite. The taste of each bite leaves you craving for another. This recipe was inspired by my Greek heritage and the time I spent living in South America. Note: In place of using the juice from a lemon, the lemon could be sliced and spread on top of the potatoes in the first layer. If using the slices, you may want to peel the lemon first so that the peel does not create a bitter taste.
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned, de-veined, covered and refrigerated
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 green onions (white part only, chopped, and green part from 4 onions, chopped)
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced (white part only)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (from goat's milk)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 8 green manzanilla olives
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Divide the bag of hashbrowns in half (10oz ea). Following the Easy Cooking Directions on the back of the bag, use the vegetable oil as directed to cook each half bag of hashbrowns.
- After cooking, place hashbrowns on a plate lined with paper towel, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions, leek, and garlic and saute till translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, cumin, oregano, rosemary, lemon juice and capers.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the shrimp and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- In a 11 3/4 x 71/2 x 13/4 Pyrex baking dish, or the equivalent, ladle 1/3 of the tomato and shrimp sauce.
- Spread 1/2 of the potatoes over the sauce.
- Ladle another 1/3 of the sauce over the potatoes.
- Spread the remaining potatoes over the sauce. Pour the remaining sauce over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the sauce.
- Spread the egg slices and olives on top of the cheese.
- Spread the cilantro over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until bubbly.