1 hr 55 mins
A great alternative to pie that you can use with almost any fruit. The best part is the juices that gather under the crust. It's a free-form tart that looks like a fruit pizza.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (preferably sea salt)
- 12 tablespoons butter (chilled; cut into 1/4" slices)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1DOUGH--Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- 2Cut in half of the butter with a pastry blender (or rub in between your fingertips) until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- 3Cut in remaining butter until it is in pea-sized bits.
- 4Sprinkle water in evenly, mixing in with a fork until flour mixture is completely moistened and holds together when pressed between your fingers.
- 5Gather dough into 1/2" thick disk and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- 6Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 7Dough can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time and refrigerated.
- 8To freeze, overwrap in aluminum foil and defrost overnight in fridge.
- 9If dough is too hard let stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes until soft enough to roll.
- 10Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 11Position rack to center.
- 12A baking stone can be used if availiable.
- 13On a floured surface, roll our dough into very thin (no more than 1/16" thick) 14" diameter round.
- 14Roll edges a bit thinner than the center so that when the edges are folded over to make a border it won't be too thick.
- 15Transfer to a pizza pan or large rimless baking sheet lightly greased or lined with parchment paper.
- 16FILLING--comine flour and 2 tbs sugar and sprinkle over dough, leaving 2" border.
- 17Arrange fruit on top of the sugar/flour mixture, again leaving a border.
- 18Sprinkle fruit with 4 tbs of remaining sugar.
- 19Fold border of dough over the fruit (Pleating is easiest, squeezing pleats together) Brush dough with a little water and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbs of sugar.
- 20Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, until edges are browned.
- 21Immediately slide galette off of pan onto cooling rack.
- 22Let cool at least 15 minutes; serve warm, at room temperature or re-heated in the microwave.
- 23***OTHERFILLINGS*** Most fruits can be used, so this is a great dessert to be made with seasonal fruits.
- 24Adjust sugar amount to sweetness or tartness of fruit but this is a good basic recipe.
- 25Other reccomended fruits are: nectarines, cherries, peaches, summer or winter pears, plums, apricots or apples.
- 26With drier fruits like apples and winter pears it is recommended to brush fruit with 2 tbs melted butter and sprinkle with 1-2 tbs sugar before cooking.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simply Perfect Galette
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.9
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 268.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: